Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Breathe!!

Literally... I need to learn how to breathe again. I went through a few of my songs with the Greg the musical director yesterday afternoon, and do you have any idea how much Florence sings in Chess? Well, it's a lot. Greg said it's pretty much the Florence show, and it's not only a lot of singing but a lot of serious powerhouse songs. I am thrilled to be a part of this production and the challenge doesn't scare me, but it is a challenge. I just need to remember to do the important things - like breathing.

When I was in Alabama doing RENT Casey, Ben and I would get on a treadmill or bike and sing "Today For You" and boy oh boy did it help with the breath control. So I did it again today. this morning I went to the gym and quietly sang "Today For You" a few times on the treadmill. I'd take a couple minutes in between and I could feel that it got easier each time. I even went through some of my Chess songs to see if I remembered all the lyrics, and it seems they're sticking in my head better than I could have hoped after one day. Now I just have to do that 3 or 4 times a week and I'll have those songs completely memorized and singing them like a pro in no time.

Tonight we have our first rehearsal where we will get to meet the rest of the cast and people involved, get more music, and rehearse all together! I took a look at the cast list and was surprised to find that I didn't know anyone in the cast. But I did hear a lot of amazing voices at the auditions, so I can't wait so see which ones they decided to put together. Since I've been out here there hasn't been anyone I've done a show with that I really didn't like. There have been people that had their quirks that took some getting used to, but in all each cast I've been a part of have become a sort of family. At least for the time being. So I'm ready to meet my brand new Chess family tonight.

I got some great news today, in a roundabout sort of way. I got a voicemail from a casting director about auditioning for a brand new musical. It would involve recording the music late this month and doing a reading possibly in September. And this casting director? He's the one I thought I had burnt a bridge with by turning down the job in Colorado. So I feel much better now knowing that all things are well on that front. He's a really nice man and I'm glad he'd like to work with me again.

And one more thing. I realized that I actually enjoy blogging now. In the beginning it was a bit of a chore sometimes, but lately I've been eager to blog when something exciting happens. It could be because I kept a journal for at least 11 years and have tapered off from writing in that, and it could also be because I get so many people telling me they really enjoy what I write, and look forward to the next entry. Thanks everyone, I like you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment