Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Check Mate


Wow, you guys have no idea how readership has boomed since that RENT review! It's pretty exciting to see those high numbers. I'd say at least half of the viewers were because Evan linked to it from his review (thanks Ev!). But now, back to writing about yours truly and the things I'm trying to do with my life.

There's a rehearsal tonight for the Chess featured soloists. As it goes, the cast has pretty much all fallen in love with each other (in a platonic way) and a few other people might show up to just to hang out, maybe sing a little if we have to. Today is also the day when I have a meeting about a very important matter. I've been instructed not to talk much about it, and that's fine with me. It would bore you anyway. But at the moment I'm a bit stressed about it, so I'm not 100% that I'll make it out to rehearsal/hang out time. I may just have to head straight home and have a glass of wine, or 3.

The peak of the Perseid meteor shower is tonight, so that should help calm my nerves too. If you aren't aware, I have a childish fascination with bright things in the sky. Namely fireworks, but also lightening and meteor showers. If I saw a UFO, instead of freaking out I'd probably clap and giggle like a 5 year old. It was either last year or the year before when Evan and I went to a nearby mountain to watch this amazing event. I can't remember exactly how many, but we counted an insane amount of meteors in just two hours. So if tonight is anything like that, it'll be almost as good as Disneyland for me.

Tomorrow night we're having a going away party for our dear Michael, a "chesser" who has to go back east to finish up school. We had a potluck at the theater after our last show to wrap up stage 1 of chess, and that was a success. Food was eaten, speeches were made, and good times were had by all. So tomorrow we're all going to another cast member's place in Santa Monica for more food and good company. Michael is a wonderful, talented, special boy, and he will be missed very much!

As much as I know it would pain Micheal to hear this, I am excited to start this next leg of the show. I know it's impossible for the 2 new people we have coming into the cast to replace anyone, but it will be neat to see what new things they bring to the dynamic of the cast and the show. Plus, my manager will actually be able to see it!! We completely sold out last weekend, over sold actually, so even though we added a few more seats to the house we weren't able to accommodate everyone and priority was given to paying customers. And even though they were aware that my manager and her guest were industry, there were apparently more industry people that got there before them. In any case, she brought me the most delicious cupcake and said she'd come back for the extension. She's the best :) Speaking of her being the best, she's trying to get me an audition for Reprise's upcoming show, They're Playing Our Song. Just for ensemble, but it would be good to get in front of Jason Alexander again just to stay fresh in his mind.

Now, not to toot my own horn - but it must be said that I haven't found a single bad review for Chess. More reason that you should come and enjoy it! Here's what some of the critics are saying:

  • "The beautiful Nicci Claspell plays Florence, the second to American World Champion Frederick (quirky Blake McIver Ewing) with heart and convition - she avoids pop-song yodeling and sticks to character-driven singing. Well done!"
    -Tony Frankel, www.stageandcinema.com
  • "The two women were outstanding: Emily Dykas as Svetlana was riveting, and Nicci Claspell was also compelling as Florence. Both of these women had marvelous composure."
    -Robert Machray, http://blogcritics.org
And you should see what they say about the rest of the cast! You can hear a sound clip at www.plays411.net/chessinconcert, and then purchase your discount tickets at www.goldstar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment